Cannabis gummies are very easy to make and they provide the perfect bite-sized and tasty way to dose. In some fully-legal adult use cannabis jurisdictions, gummy THC edibles may not be legal for sale. In which case, you may have no choice but to make your own! This guide we will teach you how to make cannabis gummies from your own home.
Making THC gummies: What do you need?
For equipment, all you need is the following:
- Saucepan or pot
- Baking whisk
- Silicone gummy molds (Whatever shape your heart desires)
- A syringe, spouted container, or plastic sandwich bag as a pouring device
- Non-stick Cooking spray
These are the ingredients for your THC gummies:
- 3 oz. box of pre-packaged Gelatin/Jell-O dessert (pick one flavor or combine your favorites)
- 2½ tbsp of unflavored gelatin powder (or 7½ sheets of gelatin)
- ½ cup of cold water
- ¼ cup of corn syrup
- ¼ cup of cannabis-infused coconut oil OR cannabutter
- 2 tsp of sunflower lecithin or soy lecithin
How to Make Cannabis infused Coconut Oil
- Take your desired amount of Cannabis and grind it up. Make sure it’s not too fine or powdery.
- Combine a cup of coconut oil and your ground cannabis in a saucepan or slow cooker. Warm it for a few hours on low heat.
Note: Heating time may vary. It takes 2–3 hours in a saucepan & 4–6 hours in a slow cooker.
- Stir your mix occasionally. Make sure that the oil temperature doesn’t rise above 245°F.
- Pour your oil through a strainer into a new container and leave it to cool.
For oven decarboxylation, refer to the ‘how to make edible gummies with cannabutter’ section further below.
How To Make Cannabutter
instead of using cannabis-infused coconut oil, you can make your gummies with homemade cannabutter by following the instructions below:
- First, decarb your weed. Set your oven to 245°F and set your cannabis on a non-stick oven tray covered with parchment paper. Place the tray into the oven and leave it for 30–40 minutes, lightly shaking the tray every 10 minutes.
- The second step in how to make Cannabis gummies with cannabutter is to coarsely grind your decarboxylated weed using a hand grinder.
- Pour a cup of water and a cup of butter into a saucepan or pot. Place it on low heat and let it simmer until the butter starts to melt.
- Once the butter has started melting, add your weed and mix it gently.
- Let the cannabutter for your THC gummies simmer for 2–3 hours and stir occasionally. Don’t let the mixture boil.
- Remove the pot or saucepan and let the butter cool.
- Cover a funnel with a cheesecloth and place it on top of a jar. Pour the cooled butter on the cheesecloth so that it strains through the funnel.
- Place your jar of cannabutter for your THC gummy bears in a refrigerator. After about an hour, excess water may form at the bottom of the jar. You can drain the water by removing the solidified butter with a knife.
Now that you’ve made your cannabutter, follow the instructions on how to make the gummies below.
How To Make Cannabis Gummies
Once You have the infused coconut oil, the process is pretty simple. Just gather everything listed above and follow these instructions:
- Prepare the gelatin. With gelatin powder, pour the dessert and powder in water. Let it float there for 5 – 10 minutes. If you are using gelatin sheets, soak them for roughly 10 minutes until they become granular.
- Prepare the mixture for your THC gummies. Combine the gelatin and water with ¼ cup of corn syrup in a saucepan or pot. Heat on medium-low until it starts to simmer.
- As your mixture heats up, whisk it gently. Make sure that it doesn’t start boiling. If white foam starts forming on top, reduce the heat and skim the foam off from the surface.
- Once your THC gummy mixture melts and combines, it’ll become smoother. Remove it from the heat and set it down to cool.
- Pour the cannabis-infused coconut oil and sunflower/soy lecithin OR cannabutter and stir so that everything combines.
- Thoroughly spray the silicone molds with cooking spray. You can set the molds onto baking trays lined with parchment paper for easier removal later.
- Now that you’ve prepared the molds for your THC gummies, you can pour the mixture in. Use the spouted container or syringe to spread the mixture.
- Once you’ve filled the molds with the mixture, place them in a refrigerator for at least an hour. Don’t put them in the freezer.
- The last step for how to make THC gummies is to remove your molds from the refrigerator. Gently remove the gummies and spread them out on some parchment paper and leave them to dry.
Depending on your location, your gummies can take a while to dry. You can place them in front of a fan to speed up the drying process.
Make sure your THC gummies are completely dry before storing them to prevent mold.
How To Store Your Gummies
You can store cannabis gummies for a long time under the right conditions. They stay fresh for longer in the refrigerator than at room temperature.
You can use silicone containers for short-term storage. For long-term storage, wrap your THC gummies in parchment paper, then place them in an airtight container or glass mason jar.
Have Fun With Your Cannabis Gummies!
These delightful treats are super easy to make at home. Once you know how to make Cannabis gummies, your local dispensary may never see you again!
If you grow your own medicine you can Browse our selection of Cannabis seeds and start making THC gummies using your own Cannabis!